To learn to reduce my carbon footprint, one must know about the average carbon dioxide emission they’re causing. Though it is difficult to get the exact number, it is possible to acquire an estimation. The accuracy is not very likely because the program which calculates the carbon footprint works on specific measures.
You may input the fossil fuel consumption of your family along with the meat you consume. However, the program will assume the vehicle itself, and yours may not be an SUV, which is standard for the US. Likewise, the meat you consume may come from a source that pollutes lesser than the average source.
Despite these facts, every individual must be mindful of the pollution they are responsible for creating. Once we get an idea, it will be possible to build the foundations for the changes which must be practiced to get a clean environment.
To reduce my carbon footprint, we can target the following dimensions to get a better atmosphere and reduce pollution:
- Choosing environment-friendly vehicles like bicycles or walking. For longer journeys, prefer public transport over individual cars.
- A carpool is also an excellent option for reducing the carbon dioxide emission by fossil fuel.
- Airplanes constitute a significant cause of carbon emission, and avoiding these journeys could be remarkable for the environment. If that is not likely, cover up your footprints with the plantation. It will help in reversing the effect.
- Visit the local market to avoid longer shopping routes.
- Recycle your organic waste by making compost. It will prevent methane production, and your plants would do great too.
- Limit the use of electronic appliances. Keep the main switch off the television, microwave oven, and electric oven switched off.
- Boil the drinking water only, collect water from the rain and use it for gardening and groundwater.
- Avoid longer showers. Also, do not waste the first two-three runs of the cold water. Collect it for washing.
- Avoid air conditioners and prefer fans. It will reduce your electricity bill and also save the environment from carbon emissions.
- Unplug your charger when not in use. That will save the most energy.
- Opt for solar panels, if possible. It is better than regular electricity in terms of carbon emission.
It may sound challenging to change your lifestyle to this extent; however, once you get used to these changes in your life. It will not only make a living better but also be great for future generations. Most importantly, the atmosphere will not be as damaged as it could be, and you will be a part of preserving nature.